Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – Do You Have These Symptoms?

carbon monoxide poisoning & detector

Carbon Monoxide Detector

Carbon Monoxide is Poisonous, Odorless, Silent, Colorless, and Tasteless.

 

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning may be occurring Right Now and you may not know it until it’s too late – possibly while you are sleeping.

Do you have a Wood Stove? Pellet Stove? Oil, Natural Gas, or LP Propane heating system?

If the combustion or venting is inadequate, leaking, or of poor quality, you could be experiencing Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Here’s what you need to know!
Get yourself a Carbon Monoxide Detector!

The best First Alert carbon monoxide detector

How Does Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Happen?

Carbon Monoxide is produced whenever a combustible fuel is burned. The amount produced depends on the fuel and the quality of the burn or combustion. A poor burn or improper ventilation will build up a high concentration of Carbon Monoxide in the home.

You can’t smell it, so you won’t know that it’s happening.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide in high concentrations, starves the oxygen from bodily tissues .
This could lead to seizure, coma, and fatality.

Preliminary Symptoms

Flu-like
Headache
Nausea
Dizziness
Fatigue
Weakness
Muscle aches
Shortness of breath

How Many People Die or Treated Each Year?

In the United States, more than 400 people die each year from accidental Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Thousands of people each year require emergency treatment.

Dangerous Levels ( PPM ) ?

(parts per million)

It only takes a minuscule amount to harm or kill you. As little as 100 parts per million (ppm) can result in Carbon Monoxide  poisoning and give you a headache after 1-2 hours.

400 ppm can be life threatening after 3 hours.

How is Carbon Monoxide Deadly?

Hemoglobin in the blood carries oxygen from the lung to our organs. But it has an affinity for Carbon Monoxide that is 200 times its affinity for oxygen!

So it gets grabbed up first and oxygen gets pushed aside. It stays attached to the hemoglobin for hours, so as it is taken up it begins to saturate the blood.

Eventually (quickly) NO OXYGEN can be taken up and transported to the cells of our organs, and they begin to die.

Will Carbon Monoxide Accumulate Downstairs or Upstairs?

Carbon Monoxide is a gas that weighs slightly less than air.

It will tend to rise and accumulate more upstairs in a home if the heating system is malfunctioning.

However, the first floor is still vulnerable under the same circumstances!

New Construction Modern ‘Tight’ Homes

Back in the “Old Days” the houses were not constructed as ‘tight’ as they are today. Basically, they leaked air like crazy, which is why old houses took so much energy too heat.

In most old houses, more than half of the heat loss was from cold air leaking in. Carbon Monoxide could not build up as quickly inside.

With newer ‘tight’ construction, less infiltration (leakage) means that gases can build up inside, and Carbon Monoxide can concentrate if a source is there.

How To Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A furnace that is not completely and efficiently burning all of its fuel (poor combustion) will produce excess Carbon Monoxide. Regular service is advised.

Furnaces with air-intake filters can clog, causing poor fuel combustion and high Carbon Monoxide levels. Periodically check the air intake.

Furnaces with improper venting (including wood stoves) will release high amounts of Carbon Monoxide into the living area.

Prevention is the key to survival.
Preventing Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a three step process.

1. Proper Venting
2. Ensure Good Combustion
3. Carbon Monoxide Detector

Detection can only be trusted to a quality Carbon Monoxide detector. Every home should have at least one. Best to have one on each level of the home.

Particularly during the winter months, please consider protecting your family from the unthinkable. Just like a home smoke alarm, a Carbon Monoxide detector could save your life!

Related: Dual Sensor Smoke Alarm – Why They Are The Best

Best Place To Mount Carbon Monoxide Detector

A likely place to be caught off guard for Carbon Monoxide poisoning is while you’re sleeping in the bedroom. Keep one within earshot of where you sleep.

One on each floor of your home

Most Carbon Monoxide detectors simply plug into a wall outlet (with a built-in battery backup). So don’t worry about high up on a wall or lower to the floor. Most outlets are near the floor. That’s good enough. Just have one!

Shelf Life? Do They Expire?

IMPORTANT: Carbon Monoxide detectors (and smoke detectors) have a shelf life! This varies between 5 and 10 years depending on the manufacturer. Many will have a date on the back or inside (the battery compartment).

Related: Caution: Smoke Detectors Have A Shelf Life

I remember last year when my Carbon Monoxide detector let out a loud chirp, and then later on again… I checked to discover that it was six years old (end of shelf life?). There was no indication on the digital screen of a any detected Carbon Monoxide level (ppm was ‘000’), so I figured that it was flaking out due to its age. So I ordered two of the latest replacements.

This is important folks. If you don’t have one of these, you should consider it:

The most popular and best reviewed on Amazon:
First Alert Carbon Monoxide Detector

Share this article!
SHARE This! by Email
SHARE This! Facebook
SHARE This! Twitter


Top Pics:


15 Comments

  1. me 11/12/2018
  2. Minerjim 11/12/2018
    • INPrepper 11/12/2018
  3. Peanut Gallery 11/12/2018
    • Ken Jorgustin 11/12/2018
      • Peanut Gallery 11/13/2018
  4. shepherdess 11/12/2018
  5. DJ5280 11/12/2018
  6. Follower 11/12/2018
  7. INPrepper 11/12/2018
    • Minerjim 11/13/2018
  8. INPrepper 11/12/2018
  9. Joe c 11/13/2018
    • Minerjim 11/13/2018
      • Joe c 11/13/2018
- Comment policy
- Off topic comments here
- View recent comments from all articles

Leave a Reply