What is the best weather alert radio?
‘Best’ refers to the subjective majority opinion of those who have reviewed weather alert radios. The criteria ranging from quality, features, price, and ease of use.
Note: When minutes count, a weather alert radio may save your life! Especially important at night while you are sleeping!
When you’re done with this brief article, check this out:
10 Ways To Know If A Tornado Is Coming
The best weather alert radio of 2019
It has been in the #1 spot for several years:
The Midland WR120-EZ is a NOAA Weather Alert Radio. It is not expensive and there’s no excuse not to have one for the safety of your household and family – especially if you live where tornadoes are possible, or hurricanes, or severe thunderstorms (which covers just about everyone).
Best Things About this Weather Alert Radio
– Purpose built & specifically designed as a weather alert radio.
– Midland is a well known quality brand.
– It’s popularity reflects being a best choice.
– Excellent price and value.
– Great features, listed below:
Weather Alert Radio Features
– ‘S.A.M.E.’ technology -Localized Reception
– Continuous Backlighting Option- Keeps the LCD on
– 25 Programmable Locations (counties /provinces)
– Color Coded Alert Level Indicators
– Alert Override automatically switches over to warn you of impending danger
– Time & Alarm Clock with Snooze
– Silent programming
– Single, Multiple, or Any S.A.M.E program settings
– 3 Selectable Warning Systems: 90dB Siren Alarm, Flashing LED, Voice Alert
– Uses 3AA Alkaline batteries for emergency power back-up
– All 7 NOAA / Environment Canada Weather Channels
– Stores up to 10 Different Previously Received All Hazards and Weather Alerts
– Public Alert Certified
– Over 60 Emergency Alerts
Tip: The Midland WR120-EZ has a unique feature that lets you select which of the alerts you want the radio to respond to.
For example you might not want the tone alert for many of the “Advisory” or “Watch” alerts (maybe you just the “Warnings”). The radio will still respond to these alerts though by providing the text in the LCD display, but just not the loud tone.
The entire list of alerts may be viewed in the menu. You can set which alerts will sound the tone. Note that some alert tones such as “Tornado Warning” cannot be turned off to insure you get this very important alert.
The following is a very unique and effective add-on option,
A visual alert which will flash red when there’s a warning:
Tip: Lots of so called Emergency Radios have built-in weather alert functionality. That’s great! However this particular one is designed specifically as ‘just’ a weather radio. One would presume that it’s better because of that. (And the many features that you can access).
More about Emergency Radios: Emergency Radio Choices
Continue reading: Wind Chill Frostbite Chart