What are the signs of a tornado ?
How do you know when a tornado is forming or approaching?
Here are 10 signs that a tornado may be imminent:
1. The Cloud Base is actually rotating (EVEN IF SLOWLY). Look at the bottom of the cloud base which normally would just be gliding along. This is one of the signs of a tornado forming.
2. A Wall Cloud, a large lowering cloud formation. Look for a lowering of the storm cloud base to what is called a wall cloud. This is a potential tornado sign.
3. Whirling dust debris above the ground (similar to a ‘dust devil’ but bigger). If you notice this beneath a large storm cloud base, it may be a tornado sign that one may have already formed but is still up in the cloud.
4. Heavy rain and hail suddenly stops and it becomes eerily quiet. This may be a sign of an impending rain-wrapped tornado.
5. An intense wind shift after the dead-calm. This is a further sign.
6. If the sky becomes a greenish black color it may be a tornado sign.
7. Hail (especially large golf ball size or larger). The storm’s updraft creates hail and is located right above the tornado, so very large hail is a sign indicative of a possible tornado.
8. A loud continuous roar, rumble, waterfall sound, or sounds similar to a train or jet (which does not quickly fade out like thunder), may be a sign that a tornado is approaching.
9. Debris falling from the sky may be a sign that a tornado has formed and has scoured objects from the ground – hurling them up to great distances.
10. Signs of a tornado at night: If at night you see bright ground flashes near a thunderstorm (blue-green-white), it may be a sign that a tornado is blowing out power transformers and power lines there. Also, when lightning flashes, you may actually see the tornado.
Especially potentially lifesaving while you sleep at night,
PLEASE for your own safety, get one of these:
Midland WR120/WR120EZ NOAA Weather Alert
Lets hear your own tornado stories in the comments below:
1 (today) 171 (week) 750 (month)