10 Personal Security Tips For Hotel Stays
Here is a practical list of personal security tips for those who stay in hotels while traveling for business or pleasure…
1. Select a hotel room on the third to fifth floor which will generally keep you out of reach of criminal activity from the street but still within reach of most fire truck ladders.
2. Familiarize yourself with escape routes in case of fire or evacuation for any other reason. Simply know where the stairs are so you could visualize getting out in the dark.
3. Avoid discussing your business or travel plans and movements during your stay, especially in public areas where they may be overheard.
4. Do not discuss your room number while standing in the lobby (or anywhere).
5. Do not leave your room key on restaurant or bar tables. Keep the key in your pocket.
6. Never leave valuables in your hotel room exposed or unattended, even in a locked suitcase. Instead, place valuables such as money, jewelry, passport, etc., in a hotel safe deposit box or room safe. Most all hotels now have room safes.
7. Use the door chain or bolt lock whenever you are in your room.
8. Use the door viewer (peephole) before opening the door to visitors.
9. Keep your room neat so you will notice disturbed or missing items quickly upon return.
10. Consider an ordinary door wedge, especially for when you are sleeping.
11. (bonus) Always bring a small portable flashlight in case you lose power in an unfamiliar place. Keep it on your nightstand while sleeping.
12. (bonus) Always bring a pocket knife which not only is helpful in many practical ways, but will serve as means of self defense. Where legal, a firearm is the ultimate self defense.
Comment below with your own tips for personal security while traveling or a hotel stay…